NZ National News
- 'Negligent, cavalier' Sensible Sentencing Trust wrongly labels man a paedophile
Privacy Commissioner John Edwards has blasted the Sensible Sentencing Trust for having a “continuously negligent, cavalier, and dangerous approach to privacy”.
- Woman arrested in Christchurch murder investigation
Police investigating the homicide of Shayne Heappey have charged a fourth person in relation to his death earlier this month.
- Fuel price drops to national low in New Plymouth
Queues of vehicles lined up at pumps in New Plymouth on Thursday night to take advantage of a special low fuel price promotion.
- Report into ex-cyclone Gita response identifies $4.5m cost and 28 areas for improvement
The cost of dealing with ex-Cyclone Gita has been put at $4.5 million, according to a new report into the crisis that makes six major recommendations for improvements.
- Health board: Safe midwife staffing 'not always achievable'
A midwifery shortage means safe staffing levels at Christchurch Women’s Hospital’s maternity unit cannot be guaranteed.
- Auckland cyclist knocked unconscious after crash with e-scooter
Auckland police are in unchartered territory dealing with the fallout after a cyclist and an e-scooterist collided in the lower CBD.
- Fire in Auckland University of Technology
Firefighters are battling a blaze at Auckland University of Technology.
- Travellers facing lengthy delays after crash on major route to Auckland Airport
Travellers are facing long delays after a crash on the main road to Auckland International Airport.
- New Zealand votes for UN migration compact after legal advice
New Zealand will be voting for the controversial UN Migration Compact.
- Auckland man wears home-made posters for five days in effort to find lost dog
An Auckland man who wore home-made posters of his lost dog for nearly a week has been reunited with his “best friend”.
- Bikes, trains and automobiles . . . it's not just about cars
OPINION: Capital’s ‘unrealistic cyclemania’, reads the headline (Dec 10) on an article conveying the transport ideas of local businessmen Bryan Weyburne and Digby Paape. The article announces their fo …
- Wellington embraces fine weekend weather before mixed-bag Christmas forecast
Early risers looking to get stuck into their pressies could catch some fine Christmas Day weather, but Wellington is expecting showers later on in the day.
- Cheerier note left for residents struck by anonymous writer
A second, cheerier missive has appeared in the letterboxes of the residents who received an anonymous note telling them to tidy their properties.
- What's Good: the Goan raw fish curry at WBC in Wellington
- Wellington's Memphis Belle coffeehouse closing after eight years
One of Wellington’s favourite caffeine joints is set to close its doors next month, ending an era in the Wellington coffee scene.
- Pavlova was born for the role of Kiwi Christmas dessert
I don’t cook a pavlova for dessert for Christmas Day dinner because it is the wonderful Kiwi traditional dessert – even though it is.
- Review: Paris for the Weekend
A taste of… Paris for the Weekend, 57 Charles St, Kaiapoi
- Cafe chat: Pick of the berry bunch
- Neat Places: Ten of the best eateries to emerge this year
The restoration of heritage buildings, laneway openings and cleared thoroughfares have made room for a new wave of hospitality venturers. Here’s who emerged and made a name for themselves in 2018.
- Connecting people and spaces through audio experiences
Meditation for people who don’t like to meditate. That’s the gist of a new audio experience launched on the streets of Christchurch.
NZ Sports News
- Coaching changes for White Sox as Softball New Zealand looks to revive women's programme
Softball New Zealand have made changes to the White Sox national women’s team coaching staff and will decide in the New Year if they will enter the Olympic Games qualifying tournament.
- Manchester United appear to mistakenly confirm Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as interim boss
It seems no-one can do anything right at struggling English Premier League giants Manchester United at the moment.
- Black Caps foiled by rain, docile pitch and stunning Sri Lankan partnership in first test draw
From winning a series against Pakistan where everything happened on day four, to a home test where they got nothing.
- Down and out, Sri Lanka's bristling former skipper pushes back and ushers in draw
So, what was with the push-ups?
- Shaun Johnson's new NRL club in disarray after Cronulla Sharks coach de-registered
Kiwi league star Shaun Johnson’s stint at the Cronulla Sharks has got off to the worst possible start with the coach who wooed him after his messy break-up with the Warriors de-registered by the NRL.