NZ National News
- Criticism of SAS actions before and after Willie Apiata's VC firefight
The firefight at the centre of one of New Zealand’s proudest military episodes is under scrutiny amid calls for an investigation, an apology and punishment for the New Zealand forces involved.
- Live: Kids and hi-vis – Bill English and Jacinda Ardern back on campaign trail
We’re back on the campaign trail where the two leaders will make major announcements at the same time.
- Thieves take chocolate, cigarettes and till in one of two Hamilton smash and grabs
Two Hamilton stores have been targetted by thieves in a duo of smash and grabs overnight.
- Mum, baby, spin out swerving to avoid head-on crash near Whanganui
A mum was left shaken and her baby crying after the pair spun out into the path of oncoming traffic in order to avoid a head on crash.
- Crack down on cruel comments on police Facebook pages
Canterbury police are getting tough on their social media policy after Facebook posts for wanted people attracted sexist, racist and humiliating comments.
- Cliff collapse swallows back yard in Bucklands Beach, east Auckland
A sudden collapse of a 10-metre cliff has swallowed a back yard in east Auckland.
- Injuries, road closures and power outages after cars hit power poles in Auckland
A person has been taken to hospital after their car collided with a power pole in south-east Auckland.
- 'Looking for the pot of gold': Spectacular rainbow spotted over the Coromandel
A usually routine trip trough the Coromandel Peninsula was interrupted by a dazzling spectacle – leaving one motorist wondering about a pot of gold.
- Mother horrified after finding a 'maggot' in McDonald's ice cream
A post-netball sweet treat turned sour for a north Auckland girl who discovered what appeared to be a maggot in her McDonalds soft-serve ice cream.
- Auckland's plan for 30 per cent sustainable homes by 2020 sees 20 houses certified
Auckland once led the way in sustainable housing in New Zealand but now appears to be falling behind. Dileepa Fonseka meets a couple whose battle to get help for their off-grid home illustrates just h …
- Wellington-based artist using sculpture to explore her family's bittersweet history
A glistening, sugar-based sculpture by a Wellington-based artist is set to bring the dark history of sugar-slavery to the fore.
- The woman behind Welly's biggest food festival: Wellington On A Plate
She’s got the “coolest job ever”.
- Leah McFall: I minced my words
OPINION: Did you know that if you scoop your palms together, they probably hold a half-kilo of mince? It’s a cute fact, right? I learned this at the butcher’s.
- Michael Houstoun – The Piano Man
Michael Houstoun’s reputation as a notoriously private man precedes him. Much is written about him but very seldom is he quoted.
- Eleven-year-old girl will be the youngest designer at the New Zealand Fashion Week
Jayda Fairweather-Ponga may be New Zealand’s youngest fashionista.
- Redhead triplet babies from Christchurch melt hearts across the internet
Pictures of baby redhead triplets from Christchurch are making thousands go “aw” around the world.
- Cult figure Bill Direen and the South Island road trip of a lifetime
Bill Direen has a distinctive manner and bearing.
- Life Story: Champion golfer Ron Clements, who twice beat Sir Bob Charles
Not many golfers can claim they beat Sir Bob Charles â New Zealand’s most successful golfer â but Ron Clements defeated him twice.
- Christchurch paddle boarder on a hydrofoil at the New Brighton Pier
Sam Loader tries to get into the waves around Christchurch as much as possible.
- Kiwi actor Vinnie Bennett named as one of four Rising Stars
Kiwi Vinnie Bennett will be feted at next month’s Toronto International Film Festival.
NZ Sports News
- South Africa laud 'ferocious and fearless' Sir Colin Meads
South Africa are mourning the death of Sir Colin Meads, saying he was “the epitome of what New Zealand rugby stands for” in the great rivalry between the two countries.
- Wimbledon champ Garbine Muguruza beats Simona Halep for Cincy title
Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza has added another trophy in her breakthrough summer, beating Simona Halep on Sunday for her first Western & Southern Open title.
- Terence Crawford is first undisputed boxing champ in 12 years
He may not admit it, but Terence Crawford has always needed to prove himself.
- Chelsea recover from opening-round loss to beat Tottenham
Marcos Alonso’s double has reignited Chelsea’s title defence by securing a 2-1 victory over Tottenham on Sunday (Monday NZT), with goalkeeper Hugo Lloris blundering to enable the Premier League champi …
- Tom Walsh beats arch-rival American Ryan Crouser in Birmingham
World shot put champion Tom Walsh will head into the Diamond League finale in Brussells next month with momentum, winning the event in Birmingham on Sunday (Monday NZ Time).