Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- A Sunday Night Out at a Queens Jazz Club (and Where to Eat and Drink Nearby)
Weekly jam sessions stretch into the wee hours — and on a school night, no less — but at Terraza 7, it’s the weekend forever.
- Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theorist Loses to Father of 6-Year-Old Victim Over Hoax
A Wisconsin judge ruled that it was defamatory to publish a book that said Leonard Pozner faked his son’s death certificate.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘Freestyle Love Supreme’ Is Coming to Broadway
The improv show will begin a 16-week run in September.
- Electric Scooters Are Coming to New York, But You Can’t Rent One in Manhattan
Tech leaders and delivery workers fought to lift the ban on electric bikes and scooters. Manhattan is off limits to the scooters because of congestion.
- How Cuomo Plans to Crack Down on Subway Fare Evasion
Wednesday: The governor said he would put 500 uniformed officers on bus routes and in subway stations.
NZ News from UK Guardian
- Christchurch massacre: Brenton Tarrant pleads not guilty to all charges
Trial to be held in May 2020 for Australian man who faces 51 murder charges, 40 of attempted murder and one terrorism chargeChristchurch mosques shooting trial: what happens next?Australian Brenton Ta …
- Kākāpō: four facts about the world's heaviest parrot – video
The owl parrot is facing an existential threat in the form of a fungal infection that has already endangered one-fifth of the total population. Seven of New Zealand’s native kākāpō have died in recent …
- 'We've also addressed puppies': NZ police chided over social media posts
NZ$10,000 review finds police generally use social media well, but recommends dialing down the puppy contentA multi-thousand dollar review of New Zealand police’s social media has recommended it post …
- World’s fattest parrot, the endangered kākāpō, could be wiped out by fungal infection
Seven of the birds native to New Zealand have died, with just 142 adults remainingThe world’s fattest parrot is facing an existential threat in the form of a dangerous fungal infection which has alrea …
- British hiker Darren Myers found dead in New Zealand, police say
The 49-year-old went missing almost two weeks ago on a hike in the Tararua rangeThe body of a 49-year-old British hiker who went missing nearly two weeks ago on a mountain range in New Zealand has bee …
- From giant board games to Amazon’s worker cage: Simon Denny’s dark arts
Mona’s new subterranean exhibition from the New Zealand sculptor drills down on the ethics of mining for minerals and dataLast year, two academics revealed that in 2016, tech and retail giant Amazon h …
- Review: ‘Dropping Gumballs on Luke Wilson,’ Aiming for His Head
Based on an anecdote from the set of an infamous commercial, the play focuses on the behind-the-scenes people who work to realize an artist’s vision.
- ‘Girl From the North Country,’ With Bob Dylan Songs, Is Bound for Broadway
The show, written and directed by Conor McPherson, explores the struggles of boardinghouse residents in Depression-era Minnesota.
- Can a Kung Fu Musical Get (Way) Off the Ground?
“Dragon Spring Phoenix Rise,” the unlikely offspring of a Chinese-American opera impresario and the writers of “Kung Fu Panda” — with songs by Sia — aims to show just how high the Shed can fly. …
- Review: Stranded Between Hope and Regret in ‘Life Sucks.’
Aaron Posner’s bitingly funny, unexpectedly touching play has a return engagement.