Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- New York Today: Trump-Nadler Feud, Renewed by Mueller Report
Friday: The prominent New Yorkers have been battling for decades.
- Lens: In Brooklyn, a Shrine to Sports and Consumerism
After his apartment was demolished to make space for Barclays Center, Jeff Mermelstein photographed the new arena’s suits, shills and suds.
- Black Columbia Student’s Confrontation With Security Becomes Flashpoint Over Racism on Campus
A video of Alexander McNab being pinned down by security officers is adding to a broader conversation about how students of color are treated at one of the nation’s most prominent universities.
- It’s Eastertime, and the Duck Rescuers Are Ready
Mandarin duck mania has inspired talk of a new feeding ban, in all parks, of all animals. This has stressed out those who rescue abandoned ducks, the number of which increases after Easter.
- Man Arrested With Gas Cans and Lighters at St. Patrick’s Cathedral Is a Philosophy Teacher
Marc Lamparello, 37, was also arrested on Monday at a cathedral in New Jersey and had just bought a one-way ticket to Rome.
NZ News from UK Guardian
- New Zealand MPs overwhelmingly back post-Christchurch gun ban
MPs vote 119-1 to outlaw most semi-automatic weapons and assault riflesNew Zealand’s parliament has voted to ban military-style weapons, less than a month after 50 people were killed and dozens wounde …
- New Zealand cuts dozens of Anzac events over Christchurch terror risk
Total number of gatherings in Auckland reduced from 84 to 26 in wake of mosque shootingsMore than 50 Anzac events and parades have been cut in New Zealand’s largest city at the request of police, as t …
- Burger King removes 'racist' ad showing man trying to eat with giant chopsticks
Fast food chain faced backlash over ad showing westerners trying to eat new ‘Vietnamese’ burger with chopsticks Burger King has been forced to delete a “culturally insensitive” advert which depicted a …
- Top New Zealand naval officer on trial over secret camera in embassy bathroom
Alfred Keating is accused of placing the camera in a heating duct in Washington building to film anyone using toiletOne of New Zealand’s former top-ranked military officials is on trial in Auckland ch …
- The Guardian view on online harms: white paper, grey areas | Editorial
The internet needs regulation. People and societies need protection. But this will be harder than the government’s new white paper makes it lookThe internet has added a new dimension to the spaces of …
- Facebook are 'morally bankrupt liars' says New Zealand's privacy commissioner
John Edwards calls out social media giant after Christchurch attack for refusing to accept responsibility for harm New Zealand’s privacy commissioner has lashed out at social media giant Facebook in t …
- Kerry Washington, Nathan Lane and Others Read Plays About Our Future
We asked 15 playwrights to create original works around their visions of America in 2024. Six of them were read onscreen.
- Jake Gyllenhaal and Tom Sturridge to Perform ‘Sea Wall/A Life’ on Broadway
The two monologues, which the actors performed last winter Off Broadway at the Public Theater, were written by Simon Stephens and Nick Payne.
- Review: An Actor’s Life Story Grounds ‘Jack &’ With ‘The Cotillion’
Kaneza Schaal’s experimental theater work has three sections and is paired with an installation featuring paintings and videos of the show’s inspirations.
- ‘Stuck’ Review: A Movie Musical Set in a Subway Car? Stand Clear.
Michael Berry’s film about characters on a stalled train aims to show how, yes, we’re all connected and yes, we all need one another.