Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- Big City: The Dangerous Intimacy of Grad School: Was the N.Y.U. Harassment Case Inevitable?
For Nimrod Reitman and others like him, an adviser’s approval can make the difference when it comes to finding a job, creating an outsize sense of dependency.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Criticized for Excluding Press From 2 Town Hall Meetings
Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, a democratic socialist candidate for Congress in New York, called the controversy a “nonstory.”
- ‘Unbearable’ Noise and Dust: Kushner Companies Accused of Driving Out Tenants in Brooklyn Building
At the waterfront building, only 71 rent-stabilized tenants are left. When the Kushner Companies bought it, there were 316.
- At Hotchkiss, Sexual Misconduct and ‘Missed Opportunities’ to Stop It
A report released by the Connecticut boarding school details sexual abuse by at least seven former faculty members, and the administration’s failure to act.
- She’s Trying to Pull an Ocasio-Cortez. Her Target: Pete King.
Liuba Grechen Shirley, a Democratic newcomer campaigning as a working mother, is trying to take down New York’s most visible Republican congressman.
US News from Stuff.co.nz
- Chilean man angry over suitcase disrupts flights with wave of bomb threats
A Chilean man angry over an airline not returning his suitcase made false bomb threats that caused up to 11 commercial flights to take emergency measures in Chile, Argentina and Peru, authorities char …
- Elon Musk outburst raises drug 'concerns' for Tesla chiefs
Tesla executives have expressed concern at Elon Musk’s use of the sleeping pill Ambien, reportedly suggesting it could account for his erratic tweeting and strange behaviour.
- US's Satanic Temple takes Baphomet statue to State House for free speech rally
US based “church”, the Satanic Temple has temporarily placed a bronze statue of a goat-headed, winged creature called Baphomet at the Arkansas State Capitol.
- Trump nixes $139m military parade, blames DC for high cost
US President Donald Trump said on Friday (US time) he had cancelled plans for a Veterans Day military parade, citing the “ridiculously high” price tag.
- Donald Trump needles Cuomo again for saying 'America was never that great'
US President Donald Trump took fresh aim on Friday (Saturday NZ Time) at New York Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo, mocking him for saying earlier this week that “America was never that great.”
- John Glines, Who Helped Bring ‘Torch Song’ to Broadway, Dies at 84
Mr. Glines was a producer who was committed to plays with gay themes and instrumental in bringing them into the mainstream.
- Miriam Nelson, 98, Golden Age Dancer and Choreographer, Dies
A Broadway hoofer who went to Hollywood to tutor William Holden, Kim Novak, Ingrid Bergman, Jerry Lewis, Tuesday Weld and Jane Fonda, to name a few.
- Brantley in Britain: What’s in a List? Two Critics on Theater’s Special Relationship
Ben Brantley and his London counterpart Michael Billington find much that’s enthralling about the state of playwriting in their countries.
- Theater Review: In Edinburgh, the Plays Are Short (and Some Are Sweet)
There are hundreds of shows to see in the Edinburgh International Festival and its ancillary Fringe event. But finding the good ones can be hard work.
- Review: Chasing Shopworn Dreams in ‘Pretty Woman: The Musical’
This wan resuscitation of the 1990 movie about a Cinderella prostitute is likely to make you nostalgic for Julia Roberts’s original performance.