Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- Eric Adams Resists ‘Shutdown Thoughts’ Despite Covid Rise
The mayor does not want to return to the days of mask mandates, saying the city can’t function if it panics over every new variant.
- Livestreams of Mass Shootings: From Buffalo to New Zealand
Dozens of recordings of a 2019 massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand, remain online, in a sobering reminder of the internet’s permanence.
- Officials Report a Possible Monkeypox Case in New York
The patient is under care at Bellevue Hospital while further testing is conducted.
- Buffalo Massacre Suspect Appears in Court and Will Be Held Without Bail
The closely watched case against the man accused of carrying out a racist attack at a Tops supermarket over the weekend will proceed to a grand jury.
- Jeffries Fights New York District Maps: ‘Enough to Make Jim Crow Blush’
Hakeem Jeffries hopes to pressure New York’s court-appointed special master to change congressional maps that split historically Black communities.
NZ News from UK Guardian
- Cabinet committee blocked plan to double Australia’s support to Pacific, election-eve leak reveals
‘Extraordinary’ revelation about national security decision shows the government is ‘falling apart’, Labor saysFollow our Australian election live blog for the latest updatesRead our latest election b …
- New Zealand budget might disappoint left but could help Labour win re-election | Morgan Godfery
In previous years we saw a tantalising glimpse of Grant Robertson as ‘Red Robbo’ – but moderation may win back centristsOn Thursday finance minister Grant Robertson laid out the fifth budget of his ca …
- Labor would deport visa holders convicted of crimes but tweak rules to ease New Zealand tensions
The Guardian understands a Labor government would ensure decisions better take into account the time a person has been in AustraliaFollow our Australian election live blog for the latest updatesRead o …
- Poorest New Zealanders lose out to ‘squeezed middle’ in budget, inequality experts say
Government says child poverty is easing in all areas but those on the ground say the dial has barely shifted in the past five years The budget neglects poor New Zealanders in favour of the “squeezed m …
- Jacinda Ardern loses sense of taste after Covid, can’t enjoy cheese roll
New Zealand PM remains in isolation but tried to uphold budget breakfast tradition with finance minister via InstagramNew Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern says she has lost her sense of taste aft …
- New Zealand budget 2022: Ardern offers $1bn in sweeteners to tackle cost of living ‘storm’
PM says budget, which includes major spending on climate and health care reform, aims to ensure long term ‘economic and social security’Weekly $27 cash payments, fuel discounts and half-price public t …
- ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ at 40: The Plant That Conquered the World
Members of the cast and creative team from the original production, as well as the current Off Broadway revival, look back on how the show came together and discuss its enduring influence.
- ‘A New Old Play’ Review: Even the Clown Show Must Go On
Qiu Jiongjiong’s absurdist epic of 20th century China is both a movie and a play, both tragedy and farce.
- Lorraine Hansberry Statue to Be Unveiled in Times Square
A life-size likeness of the pioneering playwright will be unveiled in June as part of a new initiative to honor her legacy.
- Tony Awards 2022: Who Will Win (and Who Should)
A critic’s picks in a hard-to-predict Broadway year, plus nods to shows from Off Broadway and other, odder corners.