Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- Carolyn Konheim, Foe of All That Befouled a City, Dies at 81
Finding her sons’ clothes speckled with soot, a history teacher was transformed into an influential New York environmentalist with pollution in her sights.
- Homes for Sale in Brooklyn and Manhattan
This week’s properties are in Harlem, Lincoln Square, and Prospect Heights, Brooklyn.
- Tekashi69 Is Praised by Prosecutors, Who Urge a Lenient Sentence
His cooperation with the government led hip-hop fans and other rappers to call him a snitch and a fraud.
- The Epic Rise and Hard Fall of New York’s Taxi King
Ferraris. Villas on the French Riviera. Tax fraud. No one embodies the spectacular collapse of New York’s taxi industry more than Gene Freidman.
- Working at Equinox: ‘It’s Very Hunger Games’
Working for the high-end gym chain seems glamorous, but for many trainers the schedule is unforgiving, the pay low and the turnover high.
NZ News from UK Guardian
- UN refugee agency condemns medevac repeal – as it happened
UNHCR urges the Australian government to accept New Zealand’s offer to resettle asylum seekers. This blog is now closed• Jacinda Ardern tells Scott Morrison New Zealand remains open to resettling Naur …
- New Zealand's first pornography report finds ‘problematic’ amount of coercion
Government’s chief censor says storylines featuring male persistence would be adopted by younger viewers in their own sex lives More than a third of all pornography watched in New Zealand depicts non- …
- Jacinda Ardern tells Scott Morrison New Zealand remains open to resettling Nauru refugees
New Zealand prime minister says the offer has not changed, but ‘the ball is obviously in Australia’s court’Jacinda Ardern has sent a public message to Scott Morrison, confirming New Zealand’s longstan …
- Cultural appropriation of Māori traditions is an exercise in entitlement and privilege | Tina Ngata
Māori face dispossession and hyper-incarceration – cultural assaults are part of the same patternEarlier this week, Princess Cruises (a brand of the Carnival Corporation) was brought into the public s …
- Climate change to steer all New Zealand government decisions from now on
James Shaw says environmental factors will be ‘at the forefront of our minds’ when major decisions are madeWe are expanding our coverage of New Zealand. Please help us by supporting our independent jo …
- The foreign donation ban is a good thing – but it won't protect NZ from political corruption | Pete McKenzie
New Zealand’s political system relies on an untraceable flow of donations from rich individuals with personal agendas. That won’t changeThe press release was triumphant. The justice minister, Andrew L …
- For Entertaining Musicals, Look No Further Than … Paris
The genre has long been seen as minor in the French capital, but a string of English-language productions is creating a pleasingly upbeat dynamic.
- Review: Facing Life’s Final Stretch in ‘Harry Townsend’s Last Stand’
George Eastman’s Off Broadway play is lifted by its direction and performances, but often feels like a cornball sitcom.
- Review: ‘Barber Shop Chronicles’ Offers an Exhilarating Sanctuary
Inua Ellams’s energizing, globe-traveling play considers the barber’s chair as the black man’s confessional.
- Best Theater of 2019
Shows that defied categorization offered a stark choice: Escape an angry world, or face up to its travails. Beyond Broadway, writers explored race, inequality and addiction.