Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- J.D. Salinger, Unbound
A new exhibit at the New York Public Library offers an unprecedented glimpse into the novelist’s creative process and private life.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Endorsing Bernie Sanders. Will That Matter?
Mr. Sanders, in his first rally since his heart attack, will appear in Queens with Ms. Ocasio-Cortez. Ilhan Omar has also endorsed him.
- ‘People Were Bleeding All Over’: America’s Most Dangerous Amusement Park
Action Park was infamous for bruises, scars, broken bones — even death. Now it is the subject of a documentary.
- Man Fatally Shoots 2 and Himself at Harlem Fire Scene, Officials Say
Reports of gunfire and a building ablaze created a chaotic scene, complicating the response by police officers and firefighters.
- Mobster’s Jailbreak Plan: Floss, Hacksaw Blade, Crash Diet and a Priest
The accused Mafia soldier had an elaborate plot to escape a Brooklyn jail, the F.B.I. said. His first order of business: slim down.
NZ News from UK Guardian
- New Zealand police to start armed patrols after Christchurch massacre
Move comes seven months after 51 people were killed at two mosques in the country’s worst peacetime shootingNew Zealand officials have said armed police will patrol parts of the country in a trial pro …
- Lady Anne Berry obituary
Renowned horticulturist who created the spectacular Rosemoor garden in Devon and nurtured the grounds of the Hackfalls Arboretum in New ZealandiIn the world of horticulture, only a few people have man …
- 'Youthquake': The young New Zealanders voted into office – in between McDonald's shifts
The number of elected officials under 30 doubled in city and district elections. Here a selection of them speak about their prioritiesThey took gap years to stay at home and run for office. They list …
- 'Profoundly wrong': Wellington's new mayor denies being Peter Jackson 'puppet'
Andy Foster says financial backing from Lord of the Rings director was not reason for his victory in New Zealand capitalWellington’s new mayor, Andy Foster, has hit back at suggestions he is a “puppet …
- New Zealand creates new care law after student lay dead for weeks in dorm room
Education minister says case of Mason Pendrous ‘exposed the limitations’ of pastoral care systemNew Zealand has created a new offence that makes serious breaches of student pastoral care punishable by …
- Christchurch attack: New Zealand tries new tactic to disrupt online extremism
Jacinda Ardern says government will double its investigative operation and track down content in a similar manner to child abuse materialThe New Zealand government will create a dedicated investigativ …
- ‘Chasing Rainbows’ Review: Judy Garland’s Happy Days
Focusing on the entertainer’s early years, this Paper Mill Playhouse musical offers buoyant tap numbers but sidesteps the material’s most troubling implications.
- 11 Plays and Musicals to Go to in N.Y.C. This Weekend
Previews, openings and some last-chance picks.
- ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ Musical Is Coming to Broadway
The 1993 comedy has a Broadway-friendly family plot, but filling one of Robin Williams’s most memorable roles could be risky.
- The Week in Arts: Alicia Keys, Mark Morris and an Expanded MoMA
The singer headlines Tidal’s benefit concert in Brooklyn; and the Museum of Modern Art debuts its larger, more diverse collection.