Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- What Amazon Could Learn From Google in New York City
Amazon’s arrival in New York City has been loud. But Google has been quietly expanding in Manhattan for years, with few complaints from residents.
- Irwin Hollander, Master Lithographer Who Revived Fine Art, Dies at 90
Mr. Hollander persuaded Willem de Kooning, Robert Motherwell and other Abstract Expressionists to try their hands at lithography at his Manhattan workshop. Their proofs became some of his best work.
- You Want Snacks With That? New Jersey Bill Considers Marijuana Delivery
Though the effort to legalize marijuana has been mired in political gridlock, the legislation does provides a road map for how legalized marijuana would be regulated and distributed.
- Attorney General Investigating Broken Bolts on Mario Cuomo Bridge
The inquiry will focus on whether the state’s contractor tried to hide the problem; state officials said the bridge is safe to travel.
- John Gibbons Dies at 94; Argued for Rights for Guantánamo Detainees
As a lawyer, he put his faith in equal access to the courts for all, including rioters in Newark in the 1960s; he also served as a federal appellate judge.
US News from Stuff.co.nz
- Titanic wreckage was found in secret US military mission
The successful search for the Titanic wreckage was actually a cover up for a secret US naval mission, according to CNN.
- US woman jailed over messy appliance shop
âOdean Cleckler, 89, said she has been doing her best to help run her husband’s used-appliance business since he died a decade ago. This week, that work landed her and her son in jail.
- US judge rules Obamacare as 'invalid'
A conservative federal judge in the US state of Texas on Friday (Saturday NZ time) ruled the Affordable Care Act “invalid” on the eve of the sign-up deadline for next year. But with appeals certain, e …
- Johnson & Johnson hammered by report it knew of asbestos in baby powder
Johnson & Johnson has forcefully denied a media report that it knew for decades about the existence of trace amounts of asbestos in its baby powder.
- Donald Trump's bad week just got worse
OPINION: This was arguably the worst week (so far) of US President Donald Trump’s time in office.
- Review: Writer of ‘Nassim’ Makes a New Best Friend at Every Show
Nassim Soleimanpour, who remains silent throughout, invites a different actor to join him onstage at each performance and star in his unrehearsed play.
- 9 Plays and Musicals to Go to in N.Y.C. This Weekend
Previews, openings and some last-chance picks.
- The Week in Arts: ‘Hard Nut,’ Bruce Springsteen and Decoding Arias
Mark Morris’s riotous and poignant take on ‘The Nutcracker’ returns to the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
- In German Theaters, Classic Movies Become Plays
Several new productions this season take their cues from European film classics from the 1960s and ’70s, with adaptations of Visconti, Bergman and Polanski.
- Critic’s Pick: Review: A Broadway ‘Mockingbird,’ Elegiac and Effective
Glossy and bristling with fine performances, this adaptation of the 1960 Harper Lee classic gets the Aaron Sorkin treatment.