Latest NY Region News from the NY Times
- New Jersey Town Aims to Keep App-Guided Outsiders Off Its Streets
Leonia, a town at the foot of the George Washington Bridge, has closed 60 streets to out-of-town cars during the morning and afternoon rush hours.
- Taking On Terrorists and a Turkish Scandal, Beneath a Fleeting Spotlight
Joon Kim did far more than fill Preet Bharara’s shoes; in his 10 months as the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, he had a busy, if brief, tenure.
- Case of Jogger’s Murder Hinges, In Part, on Questions Over a Police Stop
A judge in Queens could rule as soon as Tuesday on whether to exclude evidence from trial on the basis of a questionable stop.
- Ando, David Chang’s Meal-Delivery Business, Ends Service
The company is being absorbed by Uber Eats, the restaurant delivery app operated by Uber.
- Metropolitan Diary: Hair Tip on the No. 7
Seeing the perfect champagne highlights and seizing an opportunity.
US News from Stuff.co.nz
- 15-year-old US girl shot at Texas high school; boy, 16, arrested
A 15-year-old student was injured in a shooting at her high school in Texas on Monday morning (Tuesday NZ Time) and a 16-year-old boy, also a student at the school, has been taken into custody, sherif …
- Five missing after Oklahoma rig explosion
Five people are reportedly missing after an explosion at an Oklahoma drilling rig.
- Democrats relent, signalling end to US Government shutdown is near
Congress is speeding toward reopening the US government, as Senate Democrats dropped their objections to a temporary funding bill.
- US Navy's new 'fast, agile' warship has been stuck in ice since Christmas Eve
The commissioning of the US Navy’s newest warship was held in Buffalo, New York, last month, on a day so cold that people’s breath billowed through the air as they spoke.
- Vice President Mike Pence tells Israel US Embassy to move to Jerusalem in 2019
US Vice President Mike Pence on Monday (Tuesday NZ Time) told Israel’s parliament that the US Embassy will be moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem by the end of 2019, ahead of schedule, receiving a rousin …
- John Barton, Revelatory Shakespeare Director, Is Dead at 89
Mr. Barton was there at the founding of the Royal Shakespeare Company and directed numerous productions for it across 40 years.
- Bradford Dillman, Star of Broadway and Hollywood, Dies at 87
Mr. Dillman had at least 140 film and television credits to his name, but he was best known for his roles in “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” and “Compulsion.”
- Long Wharf Theater Leader Is Accused of Sexual Misconduct
Gordon Edelstein made unwelcome advances and crude remarks about women, lesbians and nuns, according to current and former employees. He has been placed on leave.
- At Shakespeare in the Park, Everyday New Yorkers Will Take the Stage
For the first time, a production from Public Works, the Public Theater’s participatory theater program, will be part of the free summer shows in Central Park.
- The Actors Company Theater Set to Close This Year
“Three Wise Guys” will be the final production for the Actors Company Theater.